[openbox] window decorations problem...

Ava Arachne Jarvis ajar at katanalynx.dyndns.org
Fri Nov 8 16:11:14 EST 2002

[Ava Arachne Jarvis - Fri,  8 Nov 2002 02:59:44 PM CST]
> I think this is an Openbox bug, properly.  I'll need to scope around the
> source a bit, but gtk_window_set_decorated() calls
> gdk_window_set_decorated(), which then sets the appropriate MWM hints.
> Maybe this is conflicting with the NETWM implementation in Openbox?

Dug around a bit more.  :)  Not sure if this is a bug or not, but....

gtk2 sets both NETWM and MWM hints in some cases.  In non-CVS Openbox,
at least, NETWM_WINDOW_TYPE_NORMAL makes a decorated window no matter
what in non-CVS Openbox.  Once it's been determined that
NETWM_WINDOW_TYPE has been set to something (Window.cc, lines 190 -
221), Motif hints are ignored.  This includes decorations.

In gtk2, it's encouraged to keep setting window type to normal, but just
fudge with MWM hints via {gtk,gdk}_set_window_decoration().  I'm  not
sure if this is "right" or not, since NETWM hints are (according to the
specs) supposed to replace MWM hints, which is what Openbox does.