[openbox] Python for Openbox?

Marius Nita marius at cs.pdx.edu
Tue Dec 24 00:35:43 EST 2002

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:32:22AM -0600, Ava Arachne Jarvis wrote:
> I see there's going to be some kind of python scriptability or suchlike
> for Openbox (in CVS).
>
> Are you going to embed a python interpreter?  Or is a python module
> going to be written to interface with otk, and if so, are you going to
> use Swig to automate part of the process?

It's something Ben (xor) has been playing with. Openbox3 will be
scriptable in one way or another. It won't be done the Sawfish way,
where only the core primitives are written in C and the rest of the WM
is done in lisp; openbox will be written in C/C++ and the user will be
able to script actions--like say, write a python function that gets
executed on a right click event on the titlebar. you can use the
scripting API to either shade the window, or move it, or pop a menu,
or whatever the interface offers.

Another cool thing is that obtools can be written entirely in the
scripting language.

However, none of this is hammered out so don't start dreaming in
python just yet. It might change/go away/etc. Highly experimental atm.

marius