[Gtkradiant] Radiant and very large annoying font

Nerius Landys nlandys at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 02:42:53 CST 2010

Thanks for the tip Martin.

However, I didn't want to start looking at _any_ code until I could
reproduce this bug 100%.
If I can't reproduce a bug there is no sense in fixing it because I don't
believe in crossing my fingers.

Anyhow, I tried for quite a long time to come up with a way to reproduce
this in my virtual machine install of Ubuntu 10.04.
Now, you're going to want to vomit when you hear this.  It's totally not
what I expected.

Say I just booted the guest OS.  I resize the guest OS window to make it
very short height-wise and very long width-wise.  Start Radiant.  I get a
HUGE, MEGA FONT just as in the screenshot attached previously.

Close Radiant.  Resize the guest OS window to make it very tall and skinny.
Open Radiant.  Now a get a very tiny font that I can barely even read.

So, there it is.  I can reproduce it.  At some level of code (dunno if it's
Radiant's fault or not, yet) somebody is deciding on a font size based on
the native desktop resolution.  Not only that, but they decide on a big font
if the native resolution is wide and short, and they decide on a tiny font
if the native desktop resolution is tall but skinny.  How ugly is that?
That's a bug introduced into code that was incorrect in the first place.
Double whammy!

BTW I checked other apps such as Firefox and no, they don't behave this
way.  :-)

I will get around to looking at the code tomorrow.  I'll probably use your
snippet of code as a guide to find what I'm looking for.

- Rambetter