[Gtkradiant] Radiant and very large annoying font

Martin Gerhardy martin.gerhardy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 02:28:54 CST 2010

Am Freitag, den 12.11.2010, 23:57 -0800 schrieb Nerius Landys:
> See screenshot attached.  I got this while I was testing stuff out on
> different operating systems.
>
> This is such a strange problem.  ON THIS VERY SAME COMPUTER (VIRTUAL
> MACHINE, THAT IS), I had Radiant working with the normal tiny font
> (for the coordinates and texture names).  I then started changing the
> language and keyboard settings.  I changed it from Italian to US
> English, both language and keyboard.  Rebooted.  Uninstalled all
> Radiant-related files.  Reinstalled.  Then all of a sudden I started
> getting this really large font.
>
> Each time I installed (both when it was working normally and with the
> large font), I started from a clean slate.  I had no ~/.radiant in my
> home dir, no project files under ~/.q3a, and nuked/compiled
> ZeroRadiant from scratch.  Unzipped my gamedir from scratch each time.
> Essentially, before each time I followed this:
> http://daffy.nerius.com/radiant/#appx-nuke and then installed.  First
> the correct small font.  Then changed some lang/keyboard settings in
> the operating system.  Nuked the install and installed again (after
> rebooting computer).  Bang, big font.
>
> I am trying to reproduce this to get the small font back and/or get
> large font on other machines.  I'm just curious as to what causes
> this.
>
> If someone can point me in the right direction and shed some light on
> what the problem may be, I may be willing to fix this in the source
> code.  Is this a GTK issue?  I know how to program servers, but GUIs
> are really not up my alley [yet].
>
> My full environment that has this problem currently:
> Ubuntu 10.04 i386
> ZeroRadiant from SVN trunk
> English language, US keyboard.  (Had it set to Italian earlier.)

Hi. The gtk-font-name is a gtk setting - i'm not sure how this is done
in zeroradiant, but we are using:

	/* use default font here (Sans 10 is gtk default) */
	GtkSettings *settings = gtk_settings_get_default();
	gchar *fontname;
	g_object_get(settings, "gtk-font-name", &fontname, (char*) 0);
	g_font = glfont_create(fontname);
	// Fallback
	if (g_font.getPixelHeight() == -1)
		g_font = glfont_create("Sans 10");

This takes the default system font or Sans 10 as fallback - maybe your
default system font is set to something very big.

Greetings
Martin