[Gtkradiant] Further GtkRadiant development?

Markus Fischer markus at fischer.name
Sun Dec 27 18:22:01 CST 2009

Hi,

That's true, I took a look at DarkRadiant and it's incredible what they
did out of the original code base, kudos to them.

However, very unfortunate, they decided to put they're energy solely
with the focus of the idTech4 engine and even their FAQ states there's
no support for idTech3; but that's the engine I've mind. Although a
decade has passed on the release of Q3, I guess due the source release,
you get the impression it's forks, mods and TCs are more alive then
ever; also simply because no matter how many *radiants are out there,
except this one, every other supports tech3 first class (and even still Q2).

I've yet to take a closer look how NetRadiant evolved, where it's focus
is really. I just started evaluating, but I think it's already visible
what TTimo meant, as they completely overhauled the make system and
essentially replaced scons with classical make and threw away MSVC build
support completely (haven't yet seen the benefit in that except for
developers own motivation).

I'm continuing further, thanks for the many feedback on the list so far!

- Markus