[Gtkradiant] HDR light

LinuxManMikeC linuxmanmikec at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:47:05 CDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 7:19 AM, Adam Sibson <adamsibson at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Would it be possible to add an HDR-like light option into the light map compile? Would this interest anyone sufficiently to have a go at adding it? I think it'd be very popular with mappers.
> Cheers,
> ix

The "D" in HDR stands for "Dynamic".  High Dynamic Range rendering is
a game engine feature.  The lightmap compilation in q3map2 is a static
process.  The results of HDR calculations are dependant on the
location of the viewpoint, which in a game is always changing.  I
think it might be possible to implement some aspects of HDR into the
lightmap compilation (is it already there?), but anything done in the
lightmap stage couldn't compare to true HDR rendering.  I really don't
know enough on the subject to comment further, so there's my 2 cents.