[Gtkradiant] Quake 1

Forest Hale lordhavoc at ghdigital.com
Thu Oct 23 16:11:18 CDT 2008

Mihai Drăghicioiu wrote:
> YARR! Thank you thank you thank ye!!
>
> This will do great!
>
> Let me tell u what I'm trying to do.. For a few years I have been
> disappointed that I wasn't able to get collision detection to work, so
> now I figured.. well, I'll just learn from someone who already got it
> right, so why don't I look at the Quake source code, and as long as
> I'm at it, might as well learn about other quake features which have
> sounded attractive for quite a while... So now I looked at the quake
> source, and I've decided to make a small demo: walking through a map,
> with some opaque and some transparent polygons (i figured out how to
> quickly sort them back to front too), a skybox, and some other stuff
> I'll probably add later. I'm also working on a lightmap maker, which
> supports HDR, so if I could combine that with a quake-ish map format,
> that should be awesome! HDR lightmaps for everyone! :D

Did you know Quake1/2/3/Unreal/etc have 7.1bit fixed point lightmaps?  (I.E. their range is 0-2 mapped to 0-255 byte values)

Not much in the way of HDR, but it's something.

Regarding collision detection, you might be interested in model_brush.c in the DarkPlaces source code (glquake-derived engine that powers the standalone game Nexuiz and several other projects, besides
playing Quake1).
http://svn.icculus.org/twilight/trunk/darkplaces/model_brush.c?view=markup - do a search for TraceBox and you will find the Q1BSP/HLBSP and Q3BSP implementations of collision detection.

http://svn.icculus.org/twilight/trunk/darkplaces/collision.c?view=markup - this file contains all my brush collision code.  (otherwise known as qhull, or "convex solid")

You can find more information about the engine at http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/

> Now there is another problem: how do I use GtkRadiant with quake 1?
> let me show u a screenshot of what I get, even though I installed the
> game files and the radiant Q1Pack, and I set the path:
>
> http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/6473/screenshotunnamedmapjl7.png

Looks like you tried to load gfx.wad which contains only qpic images (hud imagery), you need the quake1.wad from the Q1Pack instead (which contains picmip images - mipmapped textures for maps).

> Also, when GtkRadiant starts, I get these message boxes:
>
> http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/9199/screenshot1sn4.png
> http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/1016/screenshotsq1.png

Well that clearly needs to be fixed.

> I've worked with GTK+ before, and i think all you need to do to avoid
> them is to set a zero page size for each GtkAdjustment (I haven't
> counted how many of these boxes appear, they're about 10, probably one
> for each spin button in GtkRadiant). To get past them, i just press
> 'no' until they're done.
>
> Thanks again,
> Mihai

I don't know GTK+ at all, but if you wish to contribute a patch feel free :)

--
LordHavoc
Author of DarkPlaces Quake1 engine and mod