[Gtkradiant] Getting started with the GTK Radiant source code

CodeCreator spam at codecreator.net
Tue Mar 13 07:33:56 CDT 2007

Hi!

> Are there some informations or is the a wiki or something where I could
> find some information about the whole frame of the source code ?
Unfortunatly there isn't any documentation. This has always been the major
drawback or weak point of gtkradiant.
There is some documentation in the header files of the most important libs,
but thats not much. The darkmod people created a wiki which explains
some of the modules of gtkr, however, since darkradiant is a fork and
the devs from darkmod start to replace significant parts or gtkr
some infos in the wiki do not apply to gtkradiant anymore.
Most informative should be this
http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.php?title=DarkRadiant_scene_graph
and this page
http://www.thirdfilms.com/darkwiki/index.php?title=DarkRadiant_shader_system
the other pages seem to be too darkradiant specific to be of use.

> -  add another input/output plugin for a customized fileformat
Is that really what you want?
I guess you just need output in a custom format. I use gtkr for
a project of mine and I wrote a little plugin that cruises through the
scenegraph and dumps everything in a custom format.
This final export is done when I want to export the map into my game.
During normal mapping I just use the Doom3 mapformat.
The reason I'm doing it this way is that a plugin is _much_ easier to write
for GtkR then a new mapformat.

My personal expierence is, that the fastest way to get familiar with gtkr,
is to debug it. Place a breakpoint in a sourcepart in which you are interested
and analyse the callstack which took you there.

namespace

--
www.codecreator.net | GPG: 0xD4DB516D