[Gtkradiant] License questions/concern

Tig gtkradiant@zerowing.idsoftware.com
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:31:31 +1100

I'm currently using GtkRadiant 1.3.13 (I know I need to update) to
construct levels for a Tenebrae 2 http://tenebrae2.com/ project called
industri - http://industri.sourceforge.net/

A license issue was brought to my attention by someone else. Basically,
they are saying that the .map files that I make, can not be released
'publicly' because someone could download them and use them in a
commercial product AND the GtkRadiant license does not allow this. It
was an intention of mine to release the .map files with the project.

So I read over the license and the problem appears to be worst than
this! It appears that I can not make anything other than Q3A levels.

The section of the license in questions is copied below. My questions is
- what do I do? Drop the project? See a lawyer (which means drop the
project as I can't afford a lawyer). Use Quark? (please don't say this!)
Side note, does the map file format fall under a license and is Quark
breaking this license?

3.	Permitted Uses.  So long as this Agreement accompanies each copy you
make of the Software, and so long as you fully comply, at all times,
with this Agreement, ID grants to you the non-exclusive and limited
right to distribute copies of the Software free of charge for
non-commercial purposes by electronic means only and the non-exclusive
and limited right to use the Software to create your own modifications
for operation only with the full version of the software game QUAKE III
ARENA; provided, however, you shall not make any modifications unless
and until you have agreed to be bound by the terms of the LIMITED USE
SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT which accompanies the full version of QUAKE
III ARENA.  Other than the electronic copies permitted above, you may
make only the following copies of the Software: (i) you may copy the
Software onto your computer hard drive; (ii) you may copy the Software
from your computer hard drive into your computer RAM; and (iii) you may
make one (1) "back-up" or archival copy of the Software on one (1) hard
disk. You shall not use, copy or distribute the Software in any
infringing manner or in any manner which violates any law or  third
party right and you shall not distribute the Software together with any
material which infringes against any third party right or which is
libelous, defamatory, obscene, false, misleading, or otherwise illegal
or unlawful. ID reserves all rights not granted in this Agreement,
including, without limitation, all rights to ID's trademarks. You shall
not commercially distribute the Software.