[Gtkradiant] 1.2 roadmap

Fri, 18 May 2001 15:27:15 +0200

Ok, 1.1-TA is finally out. Time to get the ball rolling on 1.2

In the next few days I'd like to set up a page with a roadmap for 1.2. This
should summarize the main features we want to put in the next release, and
who is mostly in charge to make each of these things happen.

There are a few things that need to be done first, and that's what I will
be dealing with next:

- update the FAQ with correct info for GtkRadiant developers (new bug
tracker location, CVS instructions etc.)

- update the GtkSDK zip. I will hand it over to the Gtk win32 developer,
see if he can do something with it.

- merging the Alpha branch back into the trunk. The trunk will be our main
developement version from now on. Obviously merging is gonna take a while
and break some shit. Shortly after we have the merge done I will setup at
automated build system (or something similar) so we can have binaries
available online regularly.

- I think Spog and ^Fishman are mostly interested by camera code /
rendering. Work at that level can be split into several tasks.
	- have a module to do performance measurements. For example hook it into
the main Radiant loop and have it walk around a path in the level. Then get
an average FPS. This is an essentiel validation to wathever we do to the
rendering.
	- plan the changes to the rendering code. Put the important things on
paper and describe how we can move from the current rendering to a better
approach.

- modularisation of the editor core. This is partly written, needs to be
finalized and stabilized. Depending on a variety of things this will go
towards multiple games support etc.

- mixing regular texturing and BP texturing. we are gonna go for XML as the
primary map format to get rid of all map corruption shit and crappy parsing
code. XML allows easier customization of the storage format and we will
work to mix regular texturing and BP as a proof of concept.

Also, I'd like to maintain a page with "open tasks". That is TODO items we
believe are pretty self-contained and could be done by new contributors.
There's a bunch of the bugs in the tracker that fall under this category
already.

That's a first draft .. I'm waiting for feedback ..

TTimo