[cod] Sorry have to vent, Modern Warfare 2 on the PC

Christian Gerbrandt gerbra at gotadsl.co.uk
Sun Oct 18 10:20:44 EDT 2009

I followed the email thread here, and also listened to the webcast.
There are some major changes in the way online multiplayer is used for MW2.
But may I also point you to another game, which made almost the same
changes, and is more popular then before?

Quake Live

I know you can't really compare QL with MW2, but to some extend you can.
Id has taken the step, and took their whole gaming experience into the
webbrowser.
Obviously, you can't host a dedicated Server anymore. That is all done by
id.
They host everything.

The point here is, the community is playing it, a lot.
It is played on a professional level in big tournaments.

So even though, we all here think the changes made to MW2 are a show
stopper, it might be that it really will boost the community.
Maybe not for you GSP, but as already stated, if there is no dedicated
server, why should you bother. That is ok for me.
But you have to consider the game in its whole, and not just the online
multiplayer.

I pre-ordered the console version for PS3, and I'm still on schedule.
And I might also get the game for the PC, if it really will be available
from Steam.

Just my 2 cents ;)