[cod] Alpha Linux

Luke Antins (Firestorm Games) luke at firestorm-games.net
Sun Dec 26 18:18:57 EST 2004

Jay.

I think you misunderstood stood me... I don't have 20 users to a box... if only :¬)
I said there is a redirection system serving 20+ COD users.

http://www.firestorm-games.net/redirect

> am I doing this all wrong, because it works.

No, the setup you have will work fine.

> If I link mod to main, the download it to their main folder insteand of mod
> folder.

What I have is a per-user setup (as not every user has the same version of
the same files...)

Lets assume there are 2 users setup on the redirection system.

coduser1
coduser2

they will setup there url paths to be this:
redirection.com/coduser1/cod
redirection.com/coduser2/cod

If they both use the map "custom_map.pk3" under the default COD it would
download it from:

redirection.com/coduser1/cod/main/custom_map.pk3
redirection.com/coduser2/cod/main/custom_map.pk3

If there using the mod "some_mod", it would download from:

redirection.com/coduser1/cod/some_mod/custom_map.pk3
redirection.com/coduser2/cod/some_mod/custom_map.pk3

However, that does not mean there is 4 copy's of the file "custom_map.pk3",
there is only 1!

for example it could be located on the system here:
/home/redirection/files/cod/custom_map.pk3

It is then symbolical linked from each directory.

Thats the basics of what I mean! The reality of it is a bit more
complicated however heh.

Because you have all the maps / mods in 1 location that ever user uses
you will get problems when there is files that have the same name!!
(ie a map with different versions but the same name, or 2 totally different
maps but they just happen to have the same name).

ie, if there is the file "map.pk3" and there is 5 other maps (different
maps) but all called the same name, you can only host 1 of them! As
everyone is using the same redirection directory.

Hope the above makes some sense.

Kind Regards
Luke Antins
--