[cod] Don't kill the messenger...

Lestat lestat at aresgames.com
Sat Dec 18 07:05:28 EST 2004

Thx Ryan for your great job again... Hope after this patch you will have all
your time for the Moh:PA linux server ;)

Again game's company show theyr misunderstanding of the linux side for theyr
game's dedicated server... Even if they had the windows ready and even
released if they have a problem with the linux ded-server they must wait
till it is ready too... especialy when the new patch can't connect to a
no-patched server...

Some people will say "you don't pay for user theyr job so don't complain"
and they usualy run theyr private server so they have nothing to loose...
But just think about what if it was no gamehosting company out there that
spend lot of money it would not have so many server online and so many
players buying the game... it's simple mathematics... And if we can't patch
our servers we can loose our customers so loose money so we can't put server
online so less players so less games sell... Even if on "old" game don't
really need new sales even if new players come every days... But people that
have pay for theyr game and pay for rent a server are really not happy to
not be able to use it so not able to play... and you know it is always when
it is some important match comming...
By the way... try to not release patch just before the weekend but wait the
monday because most match are played at weekend...

Last exemple was BF1942/Vietnam patch... EA blocked about 70% of world's
servers by "forgot" to advise the Linux coder that they will release a
no-important patch only on windows...

And look Moh:PA... only about 100 servers (with the 20 official's ones) and
it is more than one month... And remember CoD that had like 10x more servers
online... so 10x more games selled...

Even if they want to release windows patch first (for some buissness reasons
for exemple)... they must put clearly that it can make trouble for play
online till the Linux patch is out... a simple warning so people will not
patch theyr games if they know they will not be able to play on theyr server
after... it's not hard to do and thats will prevent lot of problems or
complains...

This seem to be always the same... except Valve that seem to have understand
that without Linux they would not have so much selling (even if they release
bad patch without good testing that break servers but thats another problem
;) )...

Hope one day they will understand...