(This is in no particular order)
- The icculus.org open source incubator.
- The Build Engine.
- Serious Sam.
(Seen my glasses? I'm a dork.)
Yes, I'm porting it. No, there's no timeframe right now. Email me with
questions, and I'll start a FAQ or something.
Have a nasty infinite loop in what appears to be a scrambled linked-list
that keeps track of active sounds. Swamped with other work. Progress is
slow, and the need to eat overrides the need to port at the moment. :)
(And here's the FAQ...)
Q: Did you sign an NDA with Croteam?
Q: So you work for Croteam?
A: No. I work WITH them. I'm sort of like a licensee of the Serious Engine
that isn't making a game.
Q: Is Croteam paying you?
Q: Are you pissed that they aren't paying you?
Q: Then why are you doing this?
A: Because I like the game. Because it looks good on a resume. Because
I enjoy this sort of thing. Because I have the luxury of being able to
take the time to do this at this point in my life. Because if the
Serious Engine is portable to Linux, it becomes more likely that
Serious licensees will do Linux ports of their games, too.
Q: Are you getting any support from Croteam?
A: They are VERY responsive, especially considering that they are in the
middle of going to Alpha with The Second Encounter. They are definitely
my favorite gameshop in terms of flexibility and friendliness,
especially when you consider that the average interaction with the
porter is bad news: "I need to touch every file in the engine" or
"let me ask you a stupid question" ... They have been very patient. :)
Q: Will there be an Alpha port?
A: Short answer: no. Long answer: I don't have an Alpha-based machine, and
the exact details of distribution haven't been hashed out, but binaries
for everything and their mother's computer is not high on my list.
Plus, baby steps: I want to get this thing running on Intel Linux before
I even dream of other CPUs.
Q: How about a BeOS port?
Q: Is The Second Encounter going to work with this?
A: Uh...Presumably the engine is still compatible, but my initial goal is
to get The First Encounter running. Stay tuned.
Q: We're talking about a dedicated server, right?
A: Dedicated server AND graphical game client.
Q: What about the Serious Editor and other tools?
A: Haven't looked at them. If they are reasonable to port, I'll port them.
The server and client are top priority.
Q: Can I be on the beta team?
A: I don't know how we're handling a beta yet. If there's a public beta,
and I'm running it, I'll put out a call for beta testers later.
Q: Is someone going to sell a Linux-specific version, or will there be free
binaries for download when purchasing the retail CD?
A: I can't say with certainty right now. I don't think there will be a
retail Linux version (unless Loki or some other publisher wants to make
Croteam an offer, I guess). email@example.com might be a good place
to inquire, but I wouldn't offer to sell a game port that isn't ported
TODO somewhat immediately: (in no specific order):
- Find memory corruption in ssam.
- Rewrite IcculusFinger.
- Rewrite IcculusNews.
- See about better mailing list software?
- Upgrade to awstats 3.
- Make the logs rotate automatically.
- Hook up CVS to IcculusNews.
- Get a list of up-to-date emails for all users.
- Figure out how to monitor exactly how much bandwidth we've used per month.
- Hook up mailing list software to IcculusNews.
- Hook up Bugzilla to IcculusNews.
- Dance naked in Times Square.
- Rewrite Toby's parser.
- Figure out about classes for next semester.
- Finish writing Punk Ass Comedy.
- Finish writing The Street.
- Finish reading The Dragon Book.
- Finish reading Hogfather.
- MBOX support in PhysicsFS.
- Upgrade Apache?
- Upgrade kernel?
- Get SDL_sound 0.1.4 ready for shipping.
- Remove http://icculus.org/sysinfo/todo.html
- Get police report so someone else can pay for the new car mirror.
- Clean up room.
- Clean up home dir.
- Set up meldrew.
- Deal with TF and Synthmail source bases.
- Get nerf updated for SSL support.
- Unleash bugzilla.icculus.org on the unsuspecting world.
TODO over time:
- Port Serious Sam. ( 5%)
- Get BUILD engine ready for Matt Saettler. ( 98%)
- Get Duke3D sound API implemented for modern platforms. ( 93%)
- Get Duke3D/COMMIT net API implemented for modern platforms. ( 0%)
- SDL_sound library I've been threatening to do. ( 60%)
- SDL_mixer rewrite, using non-existant SDL_sound library. ( 0%)
- Toby rewrite #4. Way overdue. ( 20%)
- Documentation for Toby. YEARS overdue. ( 0%)
- Clean up the CVS repository. ( 80%)
- Get Dreamcast Linux working.
- Reimplement Symphony of the Night. :)
- Reimplement Raid on Bungling Bay.
- Physics engine.
- Beat Zork III. I will someday, I swear.