No subject

Thu Mar 12 03:23:25 EDT 2009

ly it's not news, it's confirming that nothing has changed.(still good, thi=
s is still better then when they would have binned it :-) )"=20

Yes, it's just good to hear ANYTHING. Silence could mean anything, "No ETA"=
 means that at least they haven't scrapped it yet.=20

"I also think EPIC will not put any resources in recoding a buggy version o=
f UT3 to a Linux/Mac version untill they are 'sure' to have a solid UT3 ver=
sion. Else they would have to maintain multiple versions(Windows/Consoles/V=
alve/Linux/Mac/'not-sure-which-versions-are-promised') of UT3, and testing =
them all too."=20

This is possibly a perfectly good point. It could be that the Linux binary =
has been done for quite a while now and ready to go but Epic wanted to wait=
 to release it until the expansion pack comes out (basically UT3's UT2004).=
=20

"About your 1) you almost sound like a salesman, forgetting the details whe=
n it's convenient, patches followed up a bit more rapidly then you stated, =
you only stated the final patches."=20

And that was intentional. I don't really presume to know much about the inn=
er working of Epic's business, however I do understand that they have hundr=
eds of licensees they have to support, two game franchises, three subsidiar=
ies they have to manage, etc. They are not the small company that made Unre=
al/UT or the only slightly larger company that made UT2003/UT2004. They hav=
e A LOT more going on in their business model than they did before, and rea=
lly this only helps to explain the time between patches for UT3 (let alone =
that they are now supporting three platforms for it). I'm happy that they a=
re continuing support at all. The way they've been treated over it, they co=
uld have just abandoned it and moved on to something else.=20

Brizz=20

On 2/9/09 2:24 PM, [FnG] Lambik wrote:=20

"And this discussion between you and I here has little, if not nothing, to =
do with the Linux binaries, so I'm not sure why you are even bringing them =
up in that respect"=20
As I see the complaints about the linux binary is basicly the support EPIC =
is giving(not or verly little), and that is not only linux related, but on =
UT3 in general.=20

I understand you can't give a timeline, you're only working with info hande=
d to you, fair enough.=20
Still that information is still the same as we got a year ago :S, so basicl=
y it's not news, it's confirming that nothing has changed.(still good, this=
 is still better then when they would have binned it :-) )=20
I also think EPIC will not put any resources in recoding a buggy version of=
 UT3 to a Linux/Mac version untill they are 'sure' to have a solid UT3 vers=
ion. Else they would have to maintain multiple versions(Windows/Consoles/Va=
lve/Linux/Mac/'not-sure-which-versions-are-promised') of UT3, and testing t=
hem all too.=20
It is weird that they don't have a planning yet on when the linux binary wi=
ll see the light, they will atleast have a planning like 'not this year' or=
 'we start after the massive patch with recoding', but nothing of the kind.=
 Sorry, but I am not very possitive about this.=20

About your 1) you almost sound like a salesman, forgetting the details when=
 it's convenient, patches followed up a bit more rapidly then you stated, y=
ou only stated the final patches.=20
but you're right that has nothing to do with the linuxbinary discussion, so=
rry for that.=20

Lambik=20

PS. You do type a lot faster then I do :P=20

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Sir Brizz < sir.brizz at gmail.com > wrote:=20

You obviously had no intention to read my last email, right?=20

1) No, it's not what you mentioned at all. Unreal never had all it's proble=
ms fixed, UT came out by the time that happened (only 18 months later) :p U=
T2003, as well, never had final patch that fixed all of it's problems, UT20=
04 came out before that (roughly 18 months later). Now, we are getting a pa=
tch which, after all the most major bugs have ALREADY been fixed, fixes alm=
ost every single complaint people have with the game ROUGHLY 18 MONTHS LATE=
R. What has seriously changed here?=20

2) My point with my second statement is that the demo should have told you =
all the story you needed to know. If you couldn't have been more unhappy wi=
th the demo, why did you buy the game? They couldn't have fixed the thinga =
that made you unhappy in Two Weeks (tm).=20

RC7 doesn't prove anything, as I said before it could have been a manufactu=
ring mishap for all you know.=20

And this discussion between you and I here has little, if not nothing, to d=
o with the Linux binaries, so I'm not sure why you are even bringing them u=
p in that respect.=20

I can't give you a timeline, all Steve said was that it is still being work=
ed on and he has no ETA. I'm personally just happy to know that they haven'=
t binned it after all this time. I wasn't being vague, I was passing along =
information.=20

Brizz=20

On 2/9/09 1:37 PM, [FnG] Lambik wrote:=20

You do copy well Sir Brizz ;)=20

1) that is exactly what I also mentioned, but thanks anyway=20
{In the past EPIC had released UT versions which at start had problems, per=
formance, bugs, etc, but they did fix the urgent matters within weeks, and =
the other stuff after a few months}=20
2) this is no more info then 1) already displaying, what is your point with=
 statement 2) ?=20

The RC7 thing proves it's a rush job, but that isn't the big issue, it's th=
e support afterwards, like ~ 1=C2=BD year later a massive patch is planned =
:(=20

Again the mentioned 'massive patch' doesn't say if the linux server will be=
 released, not even to mention the linux/Mac client.=20
The server side has been supported for linux, I am wondering will it be rel=
eased at the same time or again ~ week later.=20

[quote "Sir Brizz"]I thought some of you might like to know that Steve Polg=
e just contacted me and told me that the Linux binary has not been abandone=
d.[\quote]=20
;-) You sound like EPIC, just as vague. If you are in contact with him, cou=
ld you ask him to be a bit more specific on the "when" ?=20
Because that is the real question here, but ofcourse you do know that.=20

Please take your time reading, that saves communication :P=20

Lambik=20

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Sir Brizz < sir.brizz at gmail.com > wrote:=20

I'd say you had plenty of indications that the game was not going to live u=
 to your expectations.=20

1) Epic has always had subpar releases of Unreal games on the first install=
ment of an engine version. See: Unreal, UT2003/Unreal 2.=20
2) The demo was released only a couple of weeks before the game went gold. =
They couldn't possibly have improved it much in that time.=20

There are even more than that but those are simply the key things you could=
 have looked at before buying the game.=20

As for it being "RC7", what is that supposed to prove? RC stands for Releas=
e Candidate, so no matter what they released it would have been a release c=
andidate. If you're talking about the labeling on the meta info of the disc=
, are you sure that wasn't a manufacturing mishap? :p=20

If you look at the patch notes for the massive patch that they are releasin=
g soon, you'll see that Epic HAS been listening to feedback all this time, =
despite what the pessimists in the community would have everyone believe. E=
pic has always listened to constructive feedback on their games (at least U=
T) and this patch proves they still do, the people that are complaining now=
 are the ones who didn't give any constructive feedback so their voices wer=
en't heard.=20

Brizz=20

On 2/9/09 12:08 PM, [FnG] Lambik wrote:=20

[quote "Sir Brizz"]They delivered a functional game. If you bought it the w=
ay it was packaged, you have no one to blame but yourself if it disappoints=
 you.[\quote]=20

It's not only the linux community, but the wide spread of PC gamers are com=
plaining about the support that EPIC has shown the past year.=20
The product which was released was not finished, infact I bought a S.E. ver=
sion which was actualy the RC.7 :S=20
I did not buy it to play it on linux, but even the windows version was not =
the quality we as UT community are use to.=20
In the past EPIC had released UT versions which at start had problems, perf=
ormance, bugs, etc, but they did fix the urgent matters within weeks, and t=
he other stuff after a few months.=20
That is what this community was expecting with this release too, giving sup=
port, using the feedback we as UT ppl were supplying to improve the game,=
=20
giving the ppl the sense they are part of the process.=20

When you take a look at how many servers that are running and being used, c=
ompare that with any other game of the same level, then EPIC should be asha=
med.=20
A successor of UT2k4 should atleast contain the same functionality.=20

So in short to Sir Brizz, yes we are only to blame but ourselfes . The fact=
 remains that we are entitled to spread the word that EPIC has failed to ke=
ep their promise,=20
that they have let down our trust, that our advise is not to buy the game.=
=20
You may call it complaining, I see it as warning other users for the bad qu=
ality game EPIC has created.=20

EPIC has proven the following :=20
"Results of the past are never a guarentee for the future"=20

just my 2 cts,=20

Lambik=20

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 7:45 PM, < ceil420 at gmail.com > wrote:=20

Well I'm tired of you acting as though Linux users that bought the game jus=
t did so with no promise of functionality in their platform of choice. They=
 were led to believe they would be able to play the game on Linux at or sho=
rtly after release. The blame for the wasted money may be 80% on the player=
s, but Epic themselves also shoulder some of that blame. Especially conside=
ring their history of Tux-friendliness; particularly with this line of game=
s. This isn't Blizzard or EA we're talking about, but a company known to su=
pport. Linux with past titles, and one that promised playability with the l=
atest as well.=20

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry=20

-----Original Message-----=20