[ut3] Possible reason for UT3 Client delay

Lloyd Taylor movablev at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 22:58:54 EDT 2008

That was a very interesting article Phoronix put up.  If it's true, then fantastic.

I'm not sure what to think about all this linux client hubbub, though.

On the one hand, it's fairly obvious to me that whatever the delay holding up the client is, it's still a legal issue.  Whether it's the same issue as before, and it has just escalated, or whether it's a totally new issue remains to be seen (we might never even hear about it).  If Epic were planning on dismissing the Linux client altogether as many have suggested (due to Epic closing down talk on their forums), the would go ahead and announce this information.  Whatever the legal issue, it's caused them to become very tight-lipped indeed, and that probably means that they don't want to jeopardize any progress by making some trivial slip of the tongue that will give a third party room to sue them.  This is how legal issues work in our current lawsuit-happy system.  Imagine how frustrating it must be for people dealing with murder and rape trials who have to follow idiotic protocol just to keep from letting someone get off free.  Unfortunately, Epic's good will towards Linux
 is another victim of this system.

I think a more productive line of questioning is how Epic and Ryan may feel about all the attention this client release has attracted.  There are two options I can imagine.   1) Epic/Ryan become frustrated with angry/hostile customers who are aggressive towards them when they cannot make comments or defend themselves in any way without risking legal exposure or censure from the legal department, at the very least.  I doubt this would cause Ryan to stop fighting the linux fight, but it certainly must be discouraging him.  I don't want to do that.
2) Epic (the management, more likely) is pleased that scrappy linux users won't give this battle up and are chomping at the bit to hand over their money for a product they appreciate.  Such a display of fierce loyalty to linux gaming is good, overall for the industry.  After this is all through, perhaps it will be obvious that there are tons of us who game on linux and in the end this delay will actually help linux gaming.

I think the key is here to keep up the protesting, but to do it in a polite and respectful way.  We want to encourage people like Ryan and companies like Epic who have taken a chance on linux.  We also don't want them to forget that their customer base is still here and more than willing to pay for good linux products.

I've been looking at tons of Epic forums that have been closed for asking when the linux client will be released / complaining about the delays.  That has legal written all over it.  Every time the response is to point to the FAQ statement below:

"Q: Will there be a linux or Mac version of UT3?
 A: We are currently working on a linux UT3 client that players will be able to use with the retail Windows version. As soon as it's available we'll announce it here. Work is also being done on a Mac retail version of UT3."

They never get upset or even tell people to stop about it, oddly enough.  I did find one interesting admin reply when asked why they shut down the linux client release date questions: "You're welcome to talk about the linux client. If you're asking when it's coming, the FAQ is up to date. *****ing about the linux client not coming yet is off topic and will be deleted. Any other linux client discussions are fine."  (http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=610698&highlight=linux+client)

So apparently they close everything asking about the client release date and point to the FAQ above.  If someone is being belligerent/complaining, they delete it.

Anyway, just some thoughts.  Keep up the online presence and requests for the client.  But be nice about it.

my 0.02.

-lloyd