[ut3] linux client

Jordi Bosveld jotti at jotti.org
Thu Feb 28 06:56:51 EST 2008

Kevin Guillaume wrote:
> Patience may be a virtue, but it doesn't need to be a one-way street. While so
> many of us have shown great patience in this expansive stretch between "Linux
> client will be in the box" to "Over three months later with no end in sight",
> then I think it's more than fair to expect Ryan et al. to have some patience
> when we ask for the occasional update to a game that is quickly becoming
> yesterday's news.

Your point about the client being late is valid, and I guess I speak for
most of us when I say I would really like a Linux client just about now,
but seriously, what answer other than "it is being worked on" do you
expect to get? It has been stated many times, but I will say it once
more: Ryan will not give any estimates because they are hard to give and
tend to disappoint people. I ask again, what answer other than "it is
being worked on" do you expect to get? Exactly. Then what is the point
in asking? To put pressure on Epic? Wrong place. To put pressure on
Ryan? If it is going to have an effect at all, it will not be in your
favour. To annoy us? This one seems the most plausible so far :P

It seems some people want to hear "it is begin worked on" every week or
so. You know what, send your update requests to me from now on, I will
gladly send you a (auto)reply telling you it is being worked on, that
way you will hear what you want to hear and the list will be freed of
this not-so-useful chatter ;)

> Those preaching for more and more patience while showing no patience at all
> toward those who ask for updates on the only mailing-list where it is
> on-topic, might have been well advised to have used these intervening months
> and months learning to filter their mail if all they want is Ryan's
> announcements. I really don't think it's our fault if you never learned how
> to filter by sender.

If all I/we wanted to hear was Ryans messages, sure. But explain to me
technically how to filter the weekly update request and the thread that
follows, while letting useful discussion pass through. If Ryan says the
client is being worked on, it is being worked on until he says
otherwise. I really don't think it's our fault you need to be told the
same thing over and over and over again.

Seriously, both your frustration and hunger for information are
understandable, but these inquiries are very much useless (even
annoying), so please stop asking, because all you are going to hear

--
Best regards,

Jordi Bosveld