[ut3] customer satisfaction...

Damian Kaczmarek rushpl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 20:59:15 EST 2008

Hi!
Let me put up a longer email.

Ok, firstly, what's reassuring:
> Ryan:
> Epic has delivered for Linux customers, game after game and year after
> year, and always above the expectations that are put on any other company.

> The Linux client is important, it's being worked on, and it will ship
> when it's ready.

The things we know(as much as I've been following the mailing list) are:
 - the reason for delay are supposed to be some legal issues
originally suspected to be Ageia PhysX engine
related(http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=929&num=1),
however this has been neglected by Ryan in some sort of unofficial IRC
chat reported by: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6641
And Ageia couldn't have been an issue anyway, in some posts on this
mailing list, Ryan described his collaboration with Ageia in bringing
the Linux compatible code.
What we can gather is that parts of both client and server had to be
rewritten for the sake of some really dumb legal issue. Server is out,
so now some unknown client code has to be redone too.
Epic has some relationship with Microsoft on Gears of War as far as I
know, so Microsoft threating to pull the trigger wouldn't be a
surprise for me.
Another thing I'm skeptical about is the quality of Linux UT3 server,
for what I'm hearing the stability is horrible ... if it's so hard to
deliver a stable server how much time can it take to deliver a stable
client? And is it related again to the offending code? Let's hope to
get answers to this.

-Reason for chaos and disinformation:
----

----