[ut3] Ageia Physics Linux

Thomas Ilnseher ilnseher at eit.uni-kl.de
Fri Oct 19 09:58:49 EDT 2007

Am Freitag, den 19.10.2007, 14:10 +0200 schrieb Matthias Bach:
> Hi!
> > Therefore you got: (small linux gaming user base) * (small percentage of
> > linux users that would buy physX) = very small number, not worth porting
> > drivers.
>
> As far as I monitored the discussion this would especially be interesting for
> servers, too. And AFAIK the linux percentage on servers is way higher than
> the client one. And one card would be way cheaper then getting a whole second
> server ;) At least I think on a server there would be a huge benifit, as
> there is no graphics to do anyways.

Oh, I didn't know this! somehow i got the feeling from all those
(windows) review-sites, that the only purpose of the PhysX is to add
some funny sprites to games (like much more debris, or blood drops,
etc.)

I was thinking that the number of really important "particles" like
projectiles is quite limeted.

If this yould speed up a linux server reasonable, i think there might be
the user base* (even a higher user base than for Desktop usage of those
cards).

*) once the card is not more expensive than the equivalent CPU power.