[ut3] gamespy

Paul subsolar at subsolar.com
Tue Oct 16 22:36:34 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 21:30 +0200, Ondřej Hošek wrote:
> GameSpy, and mainly the menu, is already being (rightfully) bitched
> about in the Epic forums. I'm very sure Epic can take the hint and make
> a real menu with more than three options, but as for GameSpy, I'm not
> sure they'll be able to remove it easily, seeing as they probably signed
> some sort of deal which would complicate such an "amputation".

Epic took all sorts of feedback from the community on what features they
wanted to implement as far as stats tracking, player matching, etc and
they made a decision.

That decision apparently is to use Gamespy Arena like several other
games do, I'm not going to fault them much on the decision that they
made.  They were faced with a choice of either building their own and
with being a smaller developer and having limited resources I can
imagine that that did not appeal too much to them.  I also have not seen
any alternatives to Gamespy in the market, it's not like there are a
huge number or choices.

I will agree with many that the whole server browser UI really misses it
by a mile with many features missing that PC gamers want as it seems to
be really targeted for use on a console.  The UI is Epic's problem to
sort out unless the underlying Gamespy libs are really teh suck where
Epic had to spend alot of time creating work arounds.

Frankly 99% of gamers probably don't care about Gamespy, or at least
don't hate it enough to keep them from playing a game that uses it.
Also, as has been pointed out you don't have to use a Gamespy ID, you
can still play offline mode on a lan without one.

Regards,
Paul Berger