[ut3] Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War Linux Status

Wobe wobedraggled at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 12:56:18 EST 2007

There are complaints about the UI and the lack of maps, Epic seems to have
created an engine, sold a ton of licenses and then didn't have time to fully
flesh out their own game. Overall the negatives outweigh the positives, but
of course that can change. The biggest mistake was not having the server
ready for launch, that just leads to fewer servers and people, esp on the
windows side have plenty of things to play and they will move on. It can all
be fixed with a good release server side and some updated for the game
itself, but I'm not holding my breath, I know this isn't the fault of
icculus, and it sucks that he got put in this position. I'll keep my eye on
it, but the excitement of launch has long passed, and all I can do is play
other games, and watch people post issues on the various forums. Even a
little bit of information would be helpful, but in the world of legality you
can't say anything without permission.

Hopefully one day, Linux gaming will be more respected, but this just seems
like a large awkward step in the wrong direction.

On Dec 11, 2007 12:08 PM, biz <biz at baze.de> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 10:33:50AM -0500, Wobe wrote:
> > I think I'm just about done waiting...
> > ... 2k4 or the original, both have an active community.
>
> Thats fine but doesn't help here. UT3 is indeed a nice game and as soon
> as there are some good servers available, the community will grow.
>
> I don't think the Linux client nor another platform client will contribute
> to the community as much as the Linux _server_, at least for the
> competitive part of the community.
>
> I'm a Linux user myself and can live without a native client for a while,
> but the competitive community really suffers due to missing servers.
>
> Its like trying to build a tower without proper foundation.
>
> But there is development and I'm really happy about this.
> Keep up the good work icculus! :-)

Wobedraggled