[ut2004] ut2004 stuttering

kristjan kristjan.ugrin at gmail.com
Tue May 31 15:19:41 EDT 2011

I've modernized my system and tried to run ut2004 on it with latest 3369.2
patch on linux.
No matter what quality settings I use, the game stutters on some maps.

For e.g. BR-Anubis - I think this is the worst (I only play bombing run
online curently).
First when I spawn in small room, when heading to larger open area the
game will stutter for a second
and then the stutter will happen again when heading to new areas of map.
Stuttering seems to calm down and stop when I explore full map.

I know it used to work very well on linux, but I haven't played it in
quite some years.

I've tweaked ini settings, but that didn't help at all:
bShouldPreload=True
bDesireSkinPreload=True
UsePrecache=True
UsePrecaching=True
VARSize=128
ReduceMouseLag=False

I've tried to run the game from bare X with xterm only.

System specs:
- athlon 640 (quad core)
- 4GB ram
- gefroce GTS 450 (1GB gddr5)

It works very smooth under windows with maximum settings and no ini
tweaking.
What could be the problem?

--
kriko