[ut2004] server tick rate and fps

Guy Hutchison ghutchis at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 12:59:33 EDT 2005

On 10/14/05, [Apoc]Death <death at apoc.org> wrote:

> so take all this with a big grain of poor-memory salt), tickrate =
> updates per sec... So I would think that there's a natural client-
> side cap from your current net latency to/from the server (ping).
> There's probably network overheads that actually slow things down
> even more, but we'll go with this for now, as it still makes the case
> that running tickrates higher than the default of 20 is pretty
> pointless.
>
> My average ping on my cable modem is 60 ms to my own server. This
> implies that I'm only getting 1/0.06s ~ 17 updates per sec,
> definitely under my server's tickrate of 20, the default...

Admittedly I haven't read any of the netcode, but I don't think your
computer is waiting for a response from the server before sending its next
update. I'd assume tick rate of 20 means you send out 20 updates per second,
and on every tick, the server collects the latest position info from every
client and sends that back.

So, your machine would still get 20 updates/sec from the server (assuming no
packet loss), but everyone's position is 60ms out-of-date by the time it
gets to you (since the server has the authoritative position for everyone).

I think the client tries to smooth this out by estimating other the players'
current positions based on last reported position and the timestamp of the
packet.

- Guy