[ut2004] Multi-arch binaries (was Re: [ut2004] ./ut2004-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5)

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Jun 23 11:06:56 EDT 2005

> 1) As a programmer or company, would I rather have hundreds of more
>    customers buy the product, or would I rather have them decide not
>    to buy it because they would rather not buy yet another drive.

Unless you really think adding a few megabytes to a five gigabyte game
is an issue, you are attacking a strawman here.

> 2) With decent install/packaging tools, very little developer time
>    should be needed.

Funny, all the people that found the ArmyOps installer failed to install
the 32-bit Linux client on their AMD64 machines would totally agree.
Know what the problem was? The installer had a shell script that was
checking that pesky "uname" command and thought it was an incompatible
architecture.

>  I have lost track of the number of times I have
>    programmed shell, BAT or scripts to make simple decisions, such as
>    does the license key allow installing options X, Y or Z.  Or
>    comparing the host processor against the license key, or countless
>    other things.

I have lost track of the number of emails I've responded to because a
user downloaded the Linux patch when they wanted the Mac one.

Let's make sure they can download the _wrong_ Mac patch in the future;
that'll be funny.

--ryan.