[ut2004] ./ut2004-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Wed Jun 22 02:11:25 EDT 2005

> Ahh!! Thanks for the clarification!! Do you have any estimated date as
> of when will Epic and yourself beging porting UE3 over (to Darwin [MacOS
> X] and Linux)?

Already began.

> And if you don't mind my asking, how does it affect the
> port the switch of Apple from PPC to x86? (sorry to be going even
> further off topic, I swear it's my last question... in this matter in
> this thread).

Doesn't really affect anything. The irony is that we actually have a lot
of good PowerPC optimizations in UE3 that UT2004 didn't have, thanks to
the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 ports, just in time to move to x86.

Either way, we'll have to ship a Universal Binary for at least UT2007
and Gears of War, since we'll definitely want to support the new x86
chips going forward, and presumably the high-end G5s will be able to
play, too. G3s will refuse to run the game (I'm just not interested in
supporting non-Altivec codepaths anymore, and the best of these chips
are just underpowered for UE3 anyhow), and if we're really lucky, we'll
be able to kill G4 support by the time these ship, too.

Nothing's definite at this point, though, including which of these games
are strictly console and which are PC/Mac, I think. I'm just looking at
the engine itself still.

UnrealEngine2 (UT2004, ArmyOps, Postal 2, etc) will continue to run on
PowerPC systems, and I already have UT2004 running on the Intel Macs, so
we'll patch as many existing games as we reasonably can for the new
systems, too.

--ryan.