[ut2004] ./ut2004-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5

Peter Hoff petehoff at pacbell.net
Tue Jun 21 04:15:15 EDT 2005

Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
>>A lot of people don't need or want what's in the compat package. If it's
>>extraneous in many cases, why leave it in?
>>

>Because it's about %0.00000001 the size of, say, OpenOffice, so it's not
>exactly hogging disk space, and it removes the burden of unnecessary bug
>reports from both Fedora maintainers and third-party developers like
>myself that, unlike myself, don't know how to solve that problem quickly
>and may even go so far as to believe it's their bug.
>
>Sounds like a great reason to put that in the default install for
>everyone involved.
>
>--ryan.

I understand your point, but there is certainly a vocal class of Linux
user who doesn't believe in hanging on to "obsolete" stuff. I can't say
I fully understand it myself, but I think it's at the core of why Linux
doesn't yet have a way of gracefully handling multiple versions of the
same dynamic library.

And yeah, I fully sympathize with your situation. I'm sure you're plenty
frustrated with the "why don't you just recompile against the new
version" responses you've no doubt recieved. But, at least someone
provided a compat patch...