[ut2004] ALSA or OSS

Rick B zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 18:53:40 EST 2005

Joel Wiramu Pauling wrote:

>I'm pretty sure that supports hardware mixing (unless you have a budget
>version) and in anycase it won't be too much of a slowdown (nothing
>noticeable)

    Alsa doesn't support hardware mixing for the Nforce2 chip (APU),
because Nvidia refuses to release enough information about the APU to
let the Alsa developers build a hardware mixing driver.  If you want
hardware mixing you'll have to try the Nvidia  OSS driver from their
website, although in my experience Alsa still provides less CPU
overhead, which is surprising, because the Nvidia driver is supposed to
make the APU handle all the audio, thus freeing up the CPU. But, my
benchmarks are higher with Alsa. You should probably try the Nvidia
driver because your system might do better with it, who knows.

                        Rick B

                        System specs:
                        Asus A7N8X-Del v2
                        Athlon 2500 @ 2204Mhz