[ut2004] Mono Music

Gian Paolo Mureddu thetargos at tutopia.com
Sun Feb 27 00:16:28 EST 2005

Aaron Gyes wrote:

>I magically got stereo music when I switched to Chris's hardware
>accerlerated OpenAL implementation. It's very nice, but only people with
>emu10k1's (Sound Blaster Live, Audigy [1,2]) and ALSA >= 1.0.2 can use
>it. You'll also get ingame fps that rival running with -nosound.
>
>http://www.lost.org.uk/openal.html

Yes that OpenAL is very good for emu10k1 based cards... If you are using
ALSA CVS with your card, you don't have to worry anymore about the
number of voices, you can leave at the default value of 32 as the driver
in CVS has a patch applied to expose all PCM subdevices in emu10k1 based
cards.

NOTE: EMU10K1 cards are only the Sound Blaster Live! (original) and
variants (Platinum, Value, Gamer, MP3, 5.1 and subvariants); Audigy 1 &
2 based cards (Audigy, Audigy Platinum, Audigy 2, Audigy 2 ZS, Audigy 2
ZS Pro, Gamer and Platinum). Cards that are NOT supported by the ALSA
emu10k1 driver are: SB-Live! 24-bit version (not based around the
emu10k1 chip anymore), Audigy LS, Dell SB-Live! card (emu10k1x driver).