[ut2004] speed of loading maps

Pollywog linux at shadypond.com
Fri Feb 25 19:10:30 EST 2005

On Friday 25 February 2005 10:54 pm, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
> Pollywog wrote:
> >Is it normal for maps to take 3-5 minutes to load in Linux?  I don't
> > believe I ever played this game in Windows but I did play UT2 in Windows
> > and I don't recall that it took that long.  When I play on servers, games
> > are well underway by the time I can get into the game.
> >

> >8)
>
> Hmm, nope... that's not normal and there was a time that this was a bug
> in the game... I can't say for sure that this bug has been
> resurrected... I don't currently have UT2004 installed in my system
> (lack the space for it), so I have no way to check if this is your setup
> or indeed that same bug.

I recall the bug was fixed to where it took 2 or 3 minutes for my game to load
maps, but maybe it is back.

I installed the game first, then the ECE followed by the latest patch, then
CBP1.  I have not installed the CBP2 yet.  Perhaps I just have cheap hardware
or not enough memory.  I have 256MB RAM and I am running the game in KDE with
all apps closed.  My video card uses the Nvidia drivers and has 128MB of
memory.  I have a 550MB swap partition and my machine has Intel Pentium4.
It's probably time to buy a new machine though this one is only 3 yrs old.  It
came with a Debian derivative installed and was built by Microtel.

8)