[ut2004] New Linux user with a problem!

Jules Chianelli giuliano at rogers.com
Sun Apr 24 10:37:34 EDT 2005

Jim Grimsby wrote:

> I am a new Linux user with a problem! I am not sure if this is the
> right place to post such problems, and if it not please let me know
> where I should post such problems next time.  I  am running Debian
> testing relics with x-window-system x window server 4.3.  I am also
> running gnome 2.8 and kde 4.3. When I run UT2004 I get the following
> error message .
>
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> WARNING: ALC_EXT_capture is subject to change!
> Couldn't set video mode: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
>
> I installed the ati video drivers that come with Debian. I tried it
> also on a lindows system with the same problem.  all of my other
> programs are working with my video with out any problems.  any help
> you can provide would be graitly apresheated!
>
> thank you!
>
> Jim

goto http://kanotix.com/files/

then download this file

install-radeon-debian.sh

this should work for installing the ati drivers

this is what you have to do to install it
hit SHIFT-ALT-F1 ,this will bring you into a terminal console
then log in as root
type "init 3"
this should kill the Xserver
then type "sh install-radeon-debian.sh"
this should install the ati-drivers

if this all works and you get no error messages
just type "init 5" to test your Xserver

I hope this helps you and by the way..

Welcome to the Linux Family!

The future is in you hands now.