[ut2004] UT2K4 ECE DVD

TheGsusFreek thegsusfreek at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 21:04:54 EDT 2004

--- "Ryan C. Gordon" <icculus at clutteredmind.org>

> On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 11:26,
> augustus at linuxhardware.org wrote:
> > Unless Icculus replies to this, we may be out of
> luck.  The mods were not
> > included with the download version of ECE, most
> likely because all of the
> > mods are available online for download.  You may
> want to go to each mod's
> > site and download the latest.  I know this isn't
> what you want to hear but
> > it doesn't seem the Epic made these mods part of
> the game.  They appear to
> > still be add-ons either way.  Someone would
> probably have to install this
> > under Windows and see how it all interacts.
> The problem is that the game itself has a Linux
> installer, but the mods
> shipped with the retail disc were packaged (by
> someone else) in an
> InstallShield .cab file (actually, I think it's a
> microsoft cab, to be
> specific).
> unshield (or cabextract? One of them...) can
> uncompress the cab files on
> Linux, but the filenames all look like:
> _923KSD9083JF89S9834KJW3984
>    ...etc...
> If someone finds a way to map those filenames to the
> originals, we could
> put together an installer for them. Someone could
> even write a shell
> script to compare the correctly installed files to
> those filenames, and
> then hack together a script to use that list when
> uncompressing the cab
> to move the files to the right place.
> I found out about the InstallShield thing at around
> 5:00a.m. when the
> ECE edition went gold at around 6:00a.m. There was
> really nothing to be
> done in that timeframe.
> To be clear, though, if you can map the filenames,
> you can install from
> those discs under Linux with 100% open source tools.
> Otherwise, you can install the mods from their
> download versions, which
> are not in a Windows installer thing.
> --ryan.

Okay, sweet.  If you open the msi file in a text
editor and search for mod names, you can get a (very)
general idea of what's going on.  It seems that each
mod has a section that sets up the true names for each
of the files in the cab.

It then has a section that lists some temp folders
followed by what appear to be the files that should be
in that folder (just guessing at all of this, btw).

C:\temp\uncompressed gold mods\Alien
gold mods\Alien
gold mods\Alien Swarm\AlienSwarm\HelpADMINT~1|Admin

Then some stuff for Linux?:

And then more of the first:

(notice no pipe b/t "AoBruteAnim" and "AoBuzzer"...?)

It's kinda confusing.  I'm a computer science major
and I enjoy hacking, so I'm gonna try and see if I can
rig something up over the next few
[days/weeks/months/years] that will rename the files
to their correct names and place them where they are
supposed to go.

With a bit of luck, who knows?  I may get it working!
Maybe I should just go download the mods separately,
but I like a challenge and I want to get this to work
so that other people won't fall into the same rut I'm

Buy the game.  Mods don't install. Can't exchange the
game 'cus it's opened.  What a waste of money.

Anywaze, I'll start working on this now.  Thanx!

Because of Christ,
Phillip Baxter (TheGsusFreek)

Do you Yahoo!?