[ut2004] UT2K4 ECE DVD

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Tue Oct 12 18:23:04 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-12 at 11:26, augustus at linuxhardware.org wrote:
> Unless Icculus replies to this, we may be out of luck.  The mods were not
> included with the download version of ECE, most likely because all of the
> mods are available online for download.  You may want to go to each mod's
> site and download the latest.  I know this isn't what you want to hear but
> it doesn't seem the Epic made these mods part of the game.  They appear to
> still be add-ons either way.  Someone would probably have to install this
> under Windows and see how it all interacts.

The problem is that the game itself has a Linux installer, but the mods
shipped with the retail disc were packaged (by someone else) in an
InstallShield .cab file (actually, I think it's a microsoft cab, to be
specific).

unshield (or cabextract? One of them...) can uncompress the cab files on
Linux, but the filenames all look like:

_923KSD9083JF89S9834KJW3984
_KSDF983JF897CJKSD9841KJF9W
   ...etc...

If someone finds a way to map those filenames to the originals, we could
put together an installer for them. Someone could even write a shell
script to compare the correctly installed files to those filenames, and
then hack together a script to use that list when uncompressing the cab
to move the files to the right place.

I found out about the InstallShield thing at around 5:00a.m. when the
ECE edition went gold at around 6:00a.m. There was really nothing to be
done in that timeframe.

To be clear, though, if you can map the filenames, you can install from
those discs under Linux with 100% open source tools.

Otherwise, you can install the mods from their download versions, which
are not in a Windows installer thing.

--ryan.