[ut2004] SuSE 9.1 Sound

TheGsusFreek thegsusfreek at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 12:16:08 EST 2004

--- Matthias Bach <marix at marix-world.de> wrote:

> Hi!
> Am Freitag, 12. November 2004 21:44 schrieb
> TheGsusFreek:
> > Nope, it's set to true.
> >
> > Actually, I think I miss-diagnosed it.  I think
> it's a
> > video card issue.  The only real difference
> between my
> > FC2 setup and my SuSE9.1 setup is that in SuSE
> > the only way I could get my video card drivers to
> work
> > was by making it use "NvAGP
> I am running SuSE 9.1 and everything is running
> fine.
> Didn't you use the nvidia-installer? Using either
> the nvidia installer or YOU
> it got the 3d-card working without problems and runs
> well, even it is a
> pretty underpowered system.
> BTW: Don't let yourself get confused by Sax2 showing
> 3D as disabled. It is
> always enabled with the original nvidia-driver.
> Regards
> Matthias
> --
> Matthias Bach - www.marix-world.de
> GPG/PGP Key-ID: 0xACA73EC9
> Keyserver: www.keyserver.net

Yes. I used the nvidia installer. I did ALT+F1,
login:root, init 3, sh nvidia6629.run -q (per SuSE
install instructions), sax2 -m 0=nvidia, select okay
from the following window.

On reboot, the X server fails while starting with
error in dmesg:
NVRM: rm_init_adapter failed

I login:root, init 3, init 5, and X starts okay. But
then, anything openGL freezes and I can only start X
once (if I init 3 and init 5 again or run sax2 a
second time, it freezes).  So I configure the card in
sax2 to run with NvAGP = 1 (2 fails, 3 is default and
it fails). Then reboot and X starts but I get this
error is dmesg twice:
NVRM: not using NVAGP, AGPGART is loaded!!

and when I check /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status it
says "disabled".

I'm going to a friend's house this afternoon that has
a cable modem. If I can find out what kernel to
download, I'll get it and try that.
else{recompile with agpgart=false;}

Unless...  what driver are you using?  I've tried both
6111 and 6629.

Because of Christ,
Phillip Baxter (TheGsusFreek)

Do you Yahoo!?