[ut2004] ut2004 on linux PPC?

Dennis Dryden ddryden at ntlworld.com
Sun May 2 20:49:28 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 06:26, Ryan C. Gordon wrote:
> > Well, client and server can run on different machines, so why not in different
> > threads? AFAIK in multiplayer bots and physics are handled by the server
> > anyway. So why not use a lightweight server thread locally, even in
> > single-player games?
>
> We might, in a future engine revision (not ut2004).

Cool i can finally justify a duel CPU gaming box :-).

> It's been suggested that dual CPU machines might see a boost from running
> the dedicated server and client on one box, even for "instant action"
> games, but I haven't tried.
>
> Please note that the client does some physics calculation, server or not.
>
> --ryan.

Wouldn't this be a big wast of RAM? I guess it a case of if you have the
RAM to wast and a second CPU it makes sense.

I don't think I've said thanks for all the porting work you do yet, its
a big help to Linux gaming and maybe even Linux on the desktop. Keep up
all the good work dude!

Dennis