[ut2004] missing eyecandy with openGL?

Andrew Pilley ashridah at icculus.org
Fri Mar 26 07:18:35 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 23:00, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-03-26 at 03:02, Felix Maibaum wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > I just saw the game on windows for the first time, and couldn't help but
> > notice that it looks a lot nicer. Especially a lot of the lighting effects
> > seem to be missing, e.g. shadows and vehicle's headlights.
> >
> > Is there a list of what is misssing, and is there a chance that some of that
> > will change? I mean AFAIK the nvidia drivers expose all the capabilities of
> > the cards trough OpenGL extensions, so at least theoretically the same stuff
> > as with directx should be possible.
> > I especially miss the shadows, they make everything look so much more real.
>
> I don't see any difference between Linux and Windows personally. It
> sounds like you might be seeing a driver issue. Are you using an NVidia
> board? (And, if so, do you have the latest version of the drivers?)

In reality, there are differences. shadows, in particular, use a feature
that's very simple, and quite quick under directx, that's just much more
painful (at least, via normal extensions) under openGL. not sure about
headlights, may be the same thing, just casting 'light' not 'dark'.
It's probably not impossible to get them to act the same, but the extra
effort that daniel vogel would have to put in, vs the amount of benefit
AND the cpu hit it'd cause are probably leaning in favour of saving
time, at this point.

At least, that's how the story went for ut2003, iirc, and i don't think
it's changed.

Andrew

--
<Berawler> Is there any sanity or light left in this shrivelled husk of
a world?