[ut2004] ALSA and voice chat?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Mon Mar 22 06:21:31 EST 2004

> > Voice recognition (talking to the bots) isn't supported on Linux; sorry.
>
> Will it be in a patch later on? its bloody hard to play Bombing Run
> without it

This is done on Windows with a proprietary DLL from Microsoft. We might
be able to get _something_ running on Linux if there was a useful
non-GPL'd library (LGPL is fine, though) that we can feed audio data and
it feeds back a string of what it thinks it "heard".

Without a third party library, though, this just isn't happening on
Linux...writing this from scratch is basically a few doctorial theses
more than I'm willing to work through, I'm afraid.

Again, this is just for bot commands; you can already talk to other
humans on the 'net, regardless of their OS, from a Linux client.

--ryan.