[ut2004] No love with linux installer

Gian Paolo Mureddu Thetargos at tutopia.com
Sun Mar 21 13:33:19 EST 2004

Ian Hastie wrote:

>This really doesn't make sense.  The installer should not need to know
>anything about the underlying filesystem.  It is not it's responsibility to
>try to do 8.3 to long file name conversion, that's what the Joliet extension
>option is for.  Any CD that must also be readable on a MS Windows system will
>be made using Joliet.  To expect the kernel to cover for an unconfigured
>kernel option is just unreasonable.

Not to mention that every major distribution includes support for Joliet
extensions, so if you (re-)compiled your kernel and left it out, there's
no one really to blame but you! (because your distro *did* provide you
with Joliet, and you deliberately [or carelessly] left it out).... I
really don't know why the *pointless* discussion about this issue,
you're just giving it way too much importance than it *really* has...
Basically if you did not pay attention when you configured your kernel,
that's *your* responsibility and no one else's.