[ut2004] DVD SE & Linux Version?

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Mar 18 20:12:50 EST 2004

> > Along that same line, I'm anticipating my DVD version arriving in a
> > couple of days. I've never tried to mount a DVD-ROM before (now _that_
> > sounds odd). I assume it's not an iso9660 filesystem. What is it? UDF?

Mount it with iso9660. Make sure you've got Joliet extensions in your
kernel. Basically, treat it like a very large CD-ROM.

> Can you do the install over nfs?  Only one of my computers has a DVD ROM.
> Oh... now that I think about it, it's probably one of those evil games that
> requires a CD key and only lets you play one computer online at a time.
> Anyone know??

You need a valid and unique CD key for each machine online.

I can't speak for windows, but you _CAN_ coerce the Linux installer to run
over NFS (or from a .iso mounted on the loopback device...please don't
pirate the game.)

The game will _not_ work on Windows if the disc isn't in the drive, and
NFS/SMB won't help. We don't do a disc check of any sort on Linux, but you
still need a valid and unique CD key. Please don't pirate the game.

--ryan.