ALSA and voice chat?

Scott Call scall at devolution.com
Thu Mar 18 00:15:42 EST 2004

First off thanks Ryan for the kick-ass port, and thanks for Epic/Atari for
making sure All I had to do was slip the DVD in and type "sh
/mnt/cdrom/linux-installer.sh" :)

I didn't play with voip chat during the beta because I didn't have a
headset.

Thanks for EBworld, I got the DVD edition.  I admit I was hoping the
headset would be USB so I could use it with my PS2, but undaunted by the
two 1/8inch plugs I hooked them up.

After a few minutes of playing around I figured I had to hit "Mic Switch"
in the ALSA mixer to use the front-panel MIC instead of the one of the
back.

I've verified that using the ALSA device "hw:0,0" I can record (using
ecasound) the mixer has "REC" checked for the MIC  and my ~/.openalrc
looks like:
(define devices '(alsa))
(define alsa-out-device "hw:0,0")
(define alsa-in-device "hw:0,0")
(define speaker-num 2)

Now my question is, is there a way to test to make sure it's working?  In
single-player mode, my teammates don't seem to respond to things like
"Bravo Status" like the book says, and when I try using voice chat online
no one responds, but of course they don't respond when I type at them
either, so I don't know how much of a test that is.

I don't think this is a bug, I think it's either working just peachy and
I'm expecting something different or I've done something boneheaded in my
setup.

Thanks
-Scott

--
Scott Call	Router Geek, ATGi, home of $6.95 Prime Rib
I make the world a better place, I boycott Wal-Mart