[ut2004] DVD special edition

Ryan C. Gordon icculus at clutteredmind.org
Thu Mar 11 17:29:03 EST 2004

> sometimes things APPEAR to go back to normal but I
> cannot fire my gun nor interact with the environment (and everyone keeps
> running in the same direction... walls be damned)... it seems in these cases
> that I simply loose my connection to the server altogether but I receive no
> error message.

You can move around the map when the server has stopped sending you
packets, due to client-side prediction, but the server has to approve
you firing your gun, which is why you'll see the gun fire on your side
but no rocket launch, etc. If the server were to start responding again,
you'd warp back to your old position regardless of where you moved in
the meantime.

UDP sockets don't have a concept of "dropping connections"...there's
just the absence of new packets for X amount of time, and Unreal is
fairly liberal about waiting around for new data to arrive. If no data
shows up for long enough, eventually you'll get booted from the game
with an error message on your screen.

Likely the problem is upstream of you. I'd talk to your ISP if you keep
having trouble.

--ryan.