[ut2004] kernel 2.6 - linux client's framerate capped at 50?

Thomas Otto 3.1415926535897932384626433832 at gmx.net
Fri Mar 5 16:18:26 EST 2004

> So basically is because I use a 2.6 kernel that I get better framerate
> On-Line than single player? Go figure...

Talking about kernel 2.6 - anyone checked if it ut2k4 still takes longer
to initially load unter 2.6 than under 2.4?

Old thread from the 2k3 list (Message-ID <400E22BE.5070201 at gmx.net>):

> Me:
>>In kernel 2.6 ut2003 takes much longer to start than under 2.4, I've
>>experienced this with Neverwinter Nights as well and I think these
>>problems are related, also see this thread I found in the forum:
>>[http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=291657&forum=72,
>>System is a Debian Sid with the 5328 Nvidia drivers, TLS in glibc ]

> Ryan C. Gordon:
> I wouldn't be surprised if something like the "anticipatory i/o
> scheduler" in 2.6 is killing start times, but that's just a guess.
>
> At startup, ut2003 does an _insane_ amount of disk i/o.

> Matt:
I've heard these complaints too, but have not experienced them. UT2K3
and NWN start up just as fast in 2.6.1 and 2.6.2-rc3 (yes, I'm
up-to-date :) ) as in 2.4.24 for me.