[ut2004] Unrealed under linux?

rob larkin manifold at manifoldone.com
Sun Jun 27 04:22:30 EDT 2004

Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:

> Mason Staugler wrote:
>
>> Joel Wiramu Pauling wrote:
>>
>>> I've googled this a bit, but only found very old references to the
>>> original unreal ed. Is there a linux version of unrealed, or will it
>>> run
>>> under wineX? If so is there a quick howto anyone can point me at.
>>

>> There was no Linux version of unrealed as of several months before
>> UT2004 came out. I doubt that there will be one any time soon.
>>
>> Mason
>>
> I don't think they're gonna release it ever... according to some sites
> I've read, the program contains too much Windows' specific code to be
> reliably ported over to Linux, most likely it should be written from
> scratch (which won't happen).

I remeber reading something like that as well.  But I also remember (I
wish I could find it) someone posted a workflow where you could use
linux without unrealed.  I think it was pretty a convoluted process,
using one tool to extract textures, editing in blender exporting to
(dsx? or at least it was d??), and there was a step that involved using
wine and ucc.  I just tried using google and couldn't find it.  I don't
think I've ever heard of a level that was made in linux though.
Possibly that workflow was merely an idea and not something someone had
actually done.

mani