[ut2004] Trying to track down a performance bottleneck

Luke Bigum catach at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 9 22:32:58 EDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:28, Ian Hastie wrote:

> > However I went to run glxgears as a test and got a horrid 600 fps,
>
> That's bad alright.
>
> > where before I was getting a few thousand fps. Haven't gotten around to
> > testing UT2004 yet. I'm going to try turn off the nVidia kernel options i
> > set to see if that makes a difference.
>
> Nothing else hogging the CPU?  No other system intensive tasks?  My
> modprobe.conf has the line
>
> options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
>
> and it doesn't seem to be causing me any speed problems.  I get about 6350
> fps on glxgears.  That's an Athlon 3200+ with a GeForce FX 5900 running in
> 64 bit mode.  I'll probably find that's slow too now. *8)

I ran glxgears again and got 2500 fps :) now that i think about it i think i
had another OpenGL app running at the same time :P. I just tried UT2004 and
can get around 30-35 fps spectating on the convoy level and morpheus3, which
is about as good as Windows gets, so i'm happy.

Thanks for your help.

--
Luke Bigum
catach at tpg.com.au