[ut2004] Trying to track down a performance bottleneck

Luke Bigum catach at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 9 22:32:58 EDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:28, Ian Hastie wrote:

> > However I went to run glxgears as a test and got a horrid 600 fps,
> That's bad alright.
> > where before I was getting a few thousand fps. Haven't gotten around to
> > testing UT2004 yet. I'm going to try turn off the nVidia kernel options i
> > set to see if that makes a difference.
> Nothing else hogging the CPU?  No other system intensive tasks?  My
> modprobe.conf has the line
> options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
> and it doesn't seem to be causing me any speed problems.  I get about 6350
> fps on glxgears.  That's an Athlon 3200+ with a GeForce FX 5900 running in
> 64 bit mode.  I'll probably find that's slow too now. *8)

I ran glxgears again and got 2500 fps :) now that i think about it i think i
had another OpenGL app running at the same time :P. I just tried UT2004 and
can get around 30-35 fps spectating on the convoy level and morpheus3, which
is about as good as Windows gets, so i'm happy.

Thanks for your help.

Luke Bigum
catach at tpg.com.au
lbigum at cs.rmit.edu.au