[ut2004] Trying to track down a performance bottleneck

Luke Bigum catach at tpg.com.au
Wed Jun 9 19:34:46 EDT 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 03:20, Ian Hastie wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 Jun 2004 09:54, Luke Bigum wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:26, Scott Robinson wrote:
> > > Have you added the options:
> > >
> > > options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1 NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1
> > > NVreg_ReqAGPRate=8
> > >
> > > To your module configuration?
> >
> > No it wasn't. I have since added it but see no difference.
> > cat /proc/drivers/nvidia/agp/status tells me AGP is disabled, even though
> > I've fixed my kernel so that AGPART seems to be working.
> >
> > 'dmesg | grep agp' gives
> > Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
> > agpgart: Detected AGP bridge 0
> > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 816M
> > agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xe0000000
> >
> > Am tracking down the best way to get AGP support for my VIA K8T800
> > chipset at the moment.
>
> For the 2.6 kernels you need to use the amd64_agp.ko kernel module or have
> it compiled in.  The motherboard chipset on AMD64 bit systems only acts as
> a tunnel between the GART, on the CPU, and the physical AGP bus itself.
> Then you need to tell the NVIDIA driver to use it rather than NvAGP which
> it does by default.  To do that you need to have the following line in your
> X config file Device section for your graphics card.
>
> Option     "NvAGP"             "3"
>
> This specific setting will try AGPGART and fall through to NvAGP if it
> needs to.

got that I think:

CONFIG_AGP=y
# CONFIG_AGP_ALI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_ATI is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_AMD is not set
CONFIG_AGP_AMD64=y
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_INTEL_MCH is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_NVIDIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_SWORKS is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_AGP_EFFICEON is not set
# CONFIG_DRM is not set
# CONFIG_MWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_RAW_DRIVER is not set
# CONFIG_HANGCHECK_TIMER is not set

I also got /proc to say my AGP was working:

Driver:          AGPGART
AGP Rate:        8x
Fast Writes:     Enabled
SBA:             Enabled

However I went to run glxgears as a test and got a horrid 600 fps,
where before I was getting a few thousand fps. Haven't gotten around to
testing UT2004 yet. I'm going to try turn off the nVidia kernel options i set
to see if that makes a difference.

--
Luke Bigum
catach at tpg.com.au