[ut2004] Tweaking Linux for playing games

John Nilsson john at milsson.nu
Fri Aug 6 20:28:59 EDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 01:17, Gian Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>     I don't know if there will be an Accelertaed OpenAL for nVidia
> audio, according to the guy who made the one for emu10k1 chips, he only
> could because Creative has an OpenSource version of the emu10k1 driver
> (which was used to build both ALSA and OSS drivers). I'm currently
> running FC2 with a custom 2.6.7-ck6 kernel, I applied the -ck patch and
> I could tell the difference from the stock FC2 kernel. Although Con
> Kolivas recommends to disable PREEMPT when using this patch (if you have
> the Hz set to 500+), I've found that the kernel behaves quite well.
> Another thing that must be said about tweaking your distro for Gaming,
> is about your DE and window manger. Big-fat-bloated DEs (KDE and GNOME)
> may induce additional overhead to the machine, so using a light weight
> WM/DE is recommendable for gaming. I've been looking around for one that
> both, satisfies my taste in the desktop and is reasonably light
> weighted. There are many WMs and DEs you can try (Flux, Balck, OpenBox,
> TWM, VWM, XFCE, etc). Of the ones I've tried, I can safely say that the
> best *for me* is XFCE4. It is both ligh weighted and VERY functional.
> Some people call it the light weight GNOME or GNOME's little brother,
> since it's based on GTK+. It has all the goodies from GNOME when it
> comes to confiugrability and customizability and also is blazing fast!,
> the downside is that if you are used to an Explorer-like file manager
> (Konqueror, Nautilus), the XFFM is a little sour.

Most games are fullscreen. You don't need a WM...

For the kernel you might want to check out
http://oneofone.limitlessfx.com/love-sources/

Why not use reiser4 instead of XFS?
http://www.namesys.com/benchmarks.html

Unreal Tournament 2003 Gentoo LiveCD
http://freshmeat.net/projects/gentoo-ut2k3demo/
this project spawned Gentoo Games inc. The idea was to produce bootable
cds that booted into the game.
http://www.gentoogames.com/ seems to be empty at the moment.

See http://www.morphix.org/ a modular aproach to bootable linux cd.

-John