[ut2004] Performance Issues

rix zajelo3 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Apr 29 06:12:30 EDT 2004

Mike Harris wrote:

>I'm running UT2004 on Linux 2.6.5, with a 3.2 gHz P4, with a GeForce FX 5200.
>I'm getting pretty bad performance (about 20-30 fps, with constant drops to 15
>or so). Is I can do besides turning down the graphics (I'm running at
>1024x768, with the default settings)? Things like heapsize in Quake 3?
>Mike

    From what I undestand the big thing to do is to increase the VARSize
from 32 to 64 in the ut2004.ini file. Here's what it says at
http://www.thehaus.net/Tips/UT/ut2k4tips.shtml:

      Speeding up AS-Mothership

Note: this tip may be specific to the Linux version and/or the OpenGL
renderer. I was having major framerate issues with the AS-Mothership map
with the Linux version of UT2K4 with my Athlon XP 1800+, 512M RAM, and
an NVIDIA GeForceFX 5700 Ultra. No amount of in-game tweaking seemed to
do any good. Ryan "icculus" Gordon (who did the Linux port for Epic)
suggested opening up my UT2004.ini and changing VARSize=32 to VARSize=64
to see if that would help. That made a dramatic change. VARSize controls
how much static geometry in megabytes can be cached in AGP memory.

    Other than that it might be the limitations of your graphics card
coming into play. I understand that the 5200's do overclock 20% fairly
easily if you motivated in that way.

                Rick B