Dynamic lighting -- Bug or Feature?

Jeff Woods klaatu at fnordco.com
Sun Apr 11 23:59:01 EDT 2004

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to be any dynamic lighting in UT2004 the way it existed in UT2003, i.e. the shock rifle secondary fire the rockets, minigun fire, and link secondary don't light up the surfaces around them.

Is this by design, or is it a bug? Or is it user stupidity?

I'm using:
A GeForce 4 4200 (5336 drivers)
Mobo w/VIA KT266A chipset
Slackware 9.1
Kernel 2.4.5

I've tried adjusting all the settings in every which way, and it's still a no-go.

In UT2003 it all works with only dynamic lighting checked.

Not only does the dynamic lighting look cool, it's helpful in spotting enemies firing at you, and in gauging the distance of projectiles, particulary for shock combos (in case you're wondering why I care).