[ut2004] More ALSA woes

Alex Malinovich demonbane at the-love-shack.net
Thu Apr 1 21:55:54 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 17:43 -0600, Matthew Arnold wrote:

> Richard Gaywood wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 23:13, Richard Gaywood wrote:
> >
> >>Where am I going wrong? Does OSS emulation *have* to be installed for
> >>openal?
> >
> > I'm starting to think it might have to be. I've installed the OSS
> > emulation as modules, and UT2004 auto-loads them. Like this:
>
> Try adding this to your .bashrc or someplace similar.
>
> export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa
> export AUDIODEV=default
>
>  From Googling, it seems that SDL might need these two set in order to
> use ALSA. As always, YMMV. I wish all of this documented better.

If you look back about 2 weeks or so in the archives, there was a decent
sized thread resulting from me trying to get ALSA to work without OSS
emulation. According to everything I've read, ALSA alone SHOULD work.
But, sadly, it doesn't. If ANYONE has gotten sound to work through ALSA
WITHOUT OSS support, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837