[ut2003io] 10 avg FPS. What the ... ?

David Krider david at davidkrider.com
Sun Feb 22 10:10:25 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 17:50, Matthew Arnold wrote:
> Somewhat along the lines of this discussion, what would you folks think
> about adding a GeForce FX 5700 Ultra to my box (Athlon XP 1800+)? I know
> that a lot of my slow-downs are due to my GeForce3 Ti200 screaming for
> mercy. At the very least, I'd be able to turn on more eye candy. Anyone
> have any experience with a configuration like this? I really don't have
> the money (or desire) for a full blown mobo/CPU replacement. I'd hope
> that this would extend the life of my box for a while.

My work box is a dual 1800+ with a spanky new 5950 Ultra. On the
benchmark that's floating around, it gets about 42 fps. If I turn
EVERYTHING on and run at 1024, it gets about 27.

What strikes me most about the engine is how low the framerates go
compared to other games, yet how smoothly those frames play. I know it's
totally subjective. I've long ago decided I'd do whatever I needed to to
a game to get 60+, but I (almost) don't miss it while getting mid-40's
with eye candy.

dk