[ut2003io] Microsoft = Epic's new publisher?

Ian Hastie ianh at ordinal.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Sep 17 14:36:48 EDT 2003

On Wednesday 17 Sep 2003 15:06, Matthew Arnold wrote:
> I guess it all depends on how they define "new games." The press release
> is awfully short on details. Of course, if you stretch this to the
> extreme, that would also preclude any Linux dedicated servers which
> would not be in the UT200x series' best interest.

Why would Microsoft want Linux servers?  It would be an open admition of the
unsuitability of the MS Windows platforms for server applications.  Of course
this all depends on the details of the contract which will, no doubt, be
secret in just the same way as the OEM PC makers MS Win licences.

Microsoft have already stated they wish to dump OpenGL, and nearly did with MS
WinXP.  It seems to me that they intend to leverage their effective PC games
monopoly to coerce developers into an MS DirectX lock in.  That's an attempt
to exclude all the non-MS platforms.  Of course the real target is the other
consoles, so any incidental impact on Linux is a bonus for them.

--
Ian.